Monday, April 16, 2018

Praying to the Lord from the belly of the fish...

Last Thursday I went to the hospital with chest pain and extreme difficulty breathing.  I thought I was having a heart attack.  Within 45 minutes of arriving at the hospital I was lying at the mouth of a CT scan machine convulsing, trying desperately to get some oxygen into my lungs.  As the motorized platform I was lying on started to move into the mouth of the CT machine I found myself crying out to God in my mind for help.  I did not think I was going to be able to remain conscious much longer.  As I called out for God to help me, looking at the big hole in the machine I was moving into I was reminded of the story of Jonah and how he was swallowed by the big fish.  God answered my cry for help by reminding me of a Vacation Bible School (VBS) story.  He brought me peace and comfort in that moment (and many since) through his word he has sown in my heart.  Surely Jonah must have been more terrified than I was in my circumstance when he was swallowed by the fish!  And yet, with all his imperfections, from the belly of the fish Jonah cried out with thanksgiving, "Salvation belongs to the Lord!"  A tidal wave of God's promises connected with Jonah's story washed over me in that moment and wrought peace, hope and love in my heart/mind.

God chose to show me great mercy and grace by saving this temporal body to live some more days on this earth.

I have had a few days to reflect on all this and I am still astounded by the Father's great lovingkindness to and for me.  The folks at my new job have been unbelievable - genuine compassion and great care from the day I went to the hospital til now.  The staff at the hospital - from the ER to the folks that cleaned my room - were so gracious and good.  My precious wife was nothing less than the very essence of self-sacrifice (Jesus) to me through the whole ordeal.


- my oldest just encouraged me to blog and I found some old ones I hadn't posted... here's one...

No comments: